Monday, December 27, 2010

What are the odds?

85% of all manuscripts written will not be substantially published. That sounds so depressing. However, the reason that they aren’t substantially published is because the people involved do not take time to be in a critique group or get their product edited, didn’t go to conferences or workshops and learn their craft, didn’t make their product exceptional enough to stand out from the crowd . . . or just gave up after they got a few rejections.

I can’t think of any business that someone can just do without learning how. Even posthole digging requires learning a few simple techniques. So why do so many think they can just automatically write a book and it be a bestseller without learning the right skills? Or can just send it off and get it published without learning the right way to do it?

The good news is if we are learning our craft, if we are getting the product right and doing the submissions right, we aren’t competing with this 85%, we are in the 15% that is actually in the running. Much better odds, wouldn’t you say? The writers that substantially publish take the time to learn what they are doing, then they have the patience to see it through.

That’s my 2 cents worth anyway.

1 comment:

B. J. Robinson said...

I've been in those workshops and critique groups, and I've honed my craft for years. I've read books on writing, and I'm praying you're right about me being in the running now. I just read and reviewed Michelle Sutton's Danger at the Door and In Plain Sight. She was one of the first people I connected with in ACFW, and it was a pleasure reading and reviewing her books on my new Nook. The reviews are now posted on my blog. Her books have the potential to truly heal hearts, and I pray one day mine will, too.
Blessings,
Barb