Thursday, January 1, 2015

I don't do resolutions



HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope 2015 is a wonderful year for you.

Will you be making resolutions? I don't have much luck with them. The only resolution I can remember successfully keeping was when I resolved to not make any more of them.

A resolution is something we HOPE to do in the new year. I prefer to set goals rather than make resolutions. A resolution is pass or fail, we either do it or we don't. A goal is something we PLAN to do in the new year. And it is possible for us to make progress toward our goal even if we don't reach the target that we are shooting for.

A resolution tends to be a rather nebulous thing that we generally hope to achieve. A goal tends to be very specific and progress toward it can be quantified and measured.

I also plan to worry less because of the way I pursue my goals. Worry is stressing over something that is really beyond our control. Planning is thinking something through and taking action designed to achieve goals that are realistic and within our ability to accomplish them. If I have things that are beyond my ability I plan to turn them over to the Lord instead of worrying about them and simply trusting Him.

I'm not knocking it if you are one that likes to make resolutions, I'm just saying it doesn't work for me. Whichever way you go, as I said, I hope 2015 is a great year for you, packed with happiness and success. I really believe it will be such a year for us all.

1 comment:

Neil A. Waring said...

Not sure if it was a goal or a resolution but when I was seven or eight I wanted to play for the Yankees. Now 60 years later maybe I should try that one again. My resolutions usually last only a week or two. Looks like I can give up on baseball and starting playing golf again in a couple of weeks. That is if the snow melts around here.
Happy New Year!